The park lies in Central Kenya, 140km north-west of Nairobi, in Nakuru district of the Rift Valley Province. The ecosystem comprises of the lake, surrounded by mainly wooded and bushy grasslands. The park supports a wide ecological diversity with Flamingos (Greater and Lesser) and other water birds being the major attractions of the area. The ecosystem provides for about 56 different species of mammals including the white rhino and buffaloes and a variety of terrestrial birds numbering nearly 450 species.
• Via the 12 km long ‘Naishi’ airstrip located in the southern part of the park.
• Lanet gate (links the Park with the Nairobi-Nakuru highway)
• Nderit Gate
• The Main Gate
SIZE / LOCATION
• 188 Km2.
• 160 KM north-west of Nairobi
• Temperature ranges from 20-300 c and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm.
• Two rain seasons: Long rains – March & April & short rains – Nov/ December.
Entry is by Safari Card only. Safaricards may be loaded – but not obtained at Mtito Andei Gate. Proof of identification will be required.
• Citizens – Valid Passport or National ID
• Residents – Valid Passport & re-entry pass
• The fabulous flamingo
• An orthologist’s paradise with 450 species of birds
• Kenya’s first rhino sanctuary
• Waterfall : Malaikq
• View –points: Lion hill, baboon cliffs and Out of Africa
• Hills :Enasoit , lion hill, honeymoon e.t.c
• Thomson’s and Grant gazelle, the long-eared leaf-nosed bat, colobus monkey, rock hyrax, hippo, leopard, lion, rhino, waterbuck. Impala, gazelle, striped hyena,bat-eared fox, wildcat, reedbuck, implala, gazelle, striped hyena,golden cat, black and white rhinos.
• Prolific birdlife features 450 species ans upto 1.5 million flamingos.
WHERE TO STAY:
• Lake Nakuru lodge
• Sarova Lion Hill Lodge
KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
• Naishi House
• Special campsites include Naishi,Rhino, Soysambu, Nyati, Chui, reedbuck.
• Public campsites include Malaika and reedbubk.
• Game viewing.
• Bird watching
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
• Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
‘The bird watchers paradise’